Friday, December 19, 2014

Veggie Quinoa Tacos

These are seriously one of my favorite things to eat. Plus it is super fast and easy to make!


So this is my 5th post this year. 3rd in one day. I am not sure what that says. But either way...I am on a roll (for today that is)!  I am not the best blogger. Maybe it's because it takes about an hour from start to finish to do a post. There is laundry to do (among many other things)! ;) Plus my bum starts to go numb sitting for so long. Just being real here! Or my computer going 20x slower than I want it to. Or...wait, I just got a text, "Honey/Nicole did you change the filter in the furnace room 2 days ago?"-and slice my hand open doing it. But seriously, no excuses. There is always a lot to do, that will never change. Life is great. Life happens. Veggies rock (yes, that is random, but I had to throw that in there). That is why when someone asks me for a particular recipe it gets published faster. 

These tacos are Vegan as well. Don't let that make you raise an eyebrow. My kids love these!! If you wanted to add some cheese, be my guest. :) As for me, I love eating raw and as much veggies as my stomach will allow. Vegetables should be the #1 most consumed thing in our diet. Just saying. Those colorful beauties make you glow from the inside out! So embrace with me and love vegetables because they will love you back!!! 


This recipe does have cooked veggies. 2 things. #1-don't overcook or cook veggies too long or at too high a heat. It will loose it's color and nutrition the longer you cook them. But I must say in my opinion, onions and mushrooms are better cooked! #2-when I make these tacos, I load as much raw veggies in my tacos (if not more) than I do the cooked. Don't forget the raw! Loves!

Ingredients:

*Any fresh veggies in season. For example, Don't get zucchini if it is so far from the season. It will not be at it's best. 

Bunch Broccolini, slice through the stalks lengthwise, so you don't eat a huge piece in your taco
2 Zucchini or Squash, halved and sliced
1 Large/mega large onion, sliced
2 Poblano mushrooms, sliced *Don't put mushrooms in water to wash. They absorb the water and will be chewy when you cook them. Instead, get a wet paper towel and wipe/brush off the dirt on the mushroom. Wha-La!
2 bell peppers (any color-a variety is nice), sliced
Coconut Oil
1 Tb onion Powder
2 tsp garlic powder
Himalayan Pink Salt and Pepper
2 Tb Thai spice or Greek spice (Or your favorite spice blend like Fajita). *My favorite spice blends/all spices are from Frontier, *If you are making smaller portions, please don't add as much spice. 
1-2 Tb Turmeric powder
1 Tb dried Oragano
1/2+ tsp Cayenne pepper (optional for spice)  
Other veggie options:
Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Asparagus, Green Beans, Variety of Squash, What's in season?

1 1/2 cups cooked Quinoa **Rinse Quinoa before you cook it. It has a bitter taste to it if you don't. Cook Qunioa in vegetable broth, water or however you like to cook it. Cook according to directions. It is usually 1/2 cup dried Qunioa to 1 cup liquid. 

Sliced Romaine Lettuce or finely slice Kale etc.
Sliced Tomatoes
Sprouts
Guacamole
Fresh Salsa
Fresh Cilantro
Corn or Flour Tortillas. These are my favorite brand of Tortillas 

First, wash, slice and prepare all veggies to be sauteed. On skillet add veggies (the ones that need to cook longer-broccolini, onions) and add the rest. Add coconut oil as needed. The coconut oil gives these tacos a fantastic taste! Once the veggies start to cook, add spices, seasonings, salt and pepper and mix/toss. Cook until just sauteed and NOT over-cooked. Remove and place in bowl. Add cooked quinoa and toss. Taste for seasonings before serving.  

Add some cooked veggies to tortilla and top with raw veggies. Serve warm and Enjoy!!!





That's what I'm talking about!!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...